Wednesday, July 15, 2009

RFW SPEAKS

"I read the news today, oh boy"

Radio stations die all the time. It has happened to a few stations I've worked at in my career. It's very sad and emotional. Employees, alumni and listeners grieve, then time does it's thing and the memories slowly fade. But the news of WBCN leaving the airwaves of Boston feels different. It really hasn't been the same station that provided the soundtrack to my youth for years. I did my last show there over 25 years ago. There should be no surprise in its demise. But I can not describe the feeling of loss. The people, the music and the history do not add up to what WBCN was for me. In this case - words do not work. A true end of an era.

RFW

5 comments:

Bruce Sundberg said...

In all fairness RFW, the demise of KOME in San Jose in the '90s was also a hard pill to swallow. As you said, for employees, fans, the industry, hell even the community as a whole. It left a void that has yet to be filled again.

Bruce Sundberg

Bruce Sundberg said...

In all fairness RFW, the demise of KOME in San Jose in the '90s was also a hard pill to swallow. As you said, for employees, fans, the industry, hell even the community as a whole. It left a void that has yet to be filled again.

Bruce Sundberg

Radio Free Wohlman said...

Hi Bruce,

KOME was, without a doubt, one of the greatest stations in the nation for many years. As you know, I was there for 15 years and when it got yanked, a little piece of me went with it.

The difference for me, is that WBCN was the reason I went into radio! Like KOME, untouchable in it's prime. As I mentioned, it's hard to put into words without getting sappy.

Thanks for your ears,

Dave RFW

Daniel Rubin said...

Old Saxophone Joe, Charles Laquidara, Little Bill, Mississippi Fats, Maxanna, these names start coming back to me...

Radio Free Wohlman said...

Hi Dan,

Thanks for checking in. The names you mentioned and many more are now a part of the WBCN legend. As a teenager I loved listening to them all - do you remember "Rocket Bob" Slavin?(Hi Bob)! Keep in touch.

Dave RFW