Friday, September 29, 2006

THE CAMEO GOTTA GO!



No - not that Cameo. I mean the special guest BS that plagues so many otherwise great shows! If I'm about to see The Who do Quadrophenia, I do not want to see Billy Idol as "the bellboy"! If the Stones bring Sheryll Crow onstage one more time I think I'll puke. And if Taylor Hicks shows up at any concert hall I happen to be at, he takes the stage at his own risk. But imagine if you were at The Lone Star Cafe in New York on the evening of April 8, 1985 to see the amazing Jaco Pastorius, when out of the audience comes none-other than Jimmy Page. Check out this long take on "Fannie May/Why I Sing The Blues" (Megaupload). It gives me faith that every once in a great while, a little cameo can be a good thing. But if Fantasia shows up at the Kasabian show at The Independent in San Francisco on October 13th, that 's a different subject. Please go out and purchase all the Jaco Pastorius, Jimmy Page and Cameo music you can find...WORD UP!

See you on Saturday,

Dave

No comments: